It’s another new year, and many people have goals of physical fitness and weight loss. Rather than just losing weight, aim to primarily lose body fat while maintaining muscle mass. In order to lose body fat, you must be in a caloric deficit, or burn more calories than you consume. In order to lose body weight and maintain muscle mass, make sure a large portion of your calories comes from lean protein.
Tips for Maintaining Proper Balance in the Body
- Eat less than you burn…about 300-500 calories less
- Manage your carbohydrates. The majority should come from fibrous fruits and vegetables rather than starchy sources like potatoes and rice
- Limit the amount of calorically dense fats in your diet
- Aim to maintain a protein intake of at least 0.8 – 1.0 grams/lb. of body weight
- Choose grilled meats instead of fried
- Eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours to keep the metabolism going at all times!
Your plate should be roughtly 1/4 – 1/3 protein, ¼ starchy carbs, and the rest fruits/vegetables!